You might have noticed that your child is talking about the audio books, a.k.a Playaways, in the library. These are sort of a mp3 on a dedicated listening device. We currently have about 20 that are circulating within the school right now, later this spring I plan on teaching students how to request titles that our school might not have, but that they could inter-library loan request from a different DISD school. For right now, we are placing hold requests within our own campus for them. :0)
Here is a basic outline of what I have told the students regarding their use:
1. Please try to use headphones, earbuds, or computers speakers that you already own. We have some available in the library for check out if needed, but I have cleared it with Mrs. Curry and Mr. Estrada that students may use their own type of headphone for our audio books. This is much more sanitary! Those headphones/earbuds that are checked in and out via the library will be cleaned upon return with either clorox wipes or alcohol wipes.
2. Instructions for operating the playaway are located inside the case or can also be found here: http://www.titlewave.com/intro/playaway.html
3. Playaways use one AAA battery. We have these to replace them with in the library, or feel free to replace with a new battery at home if your child is to an exciting part of the story!
4. Parts replacement costs:
Lost earbuds/headphones: $2.00
Broken Lanyards: $1.00
Lost Case: $5.00
Lost Playaway or Lost Playaway and Case: full price of item, this ranges from $39.99 and up.
5. Please don't eat or drink with them, this could be a costly replacement if they are spilled on!
6. If you are having problems with earbuds (bad sound or static) please bring them in and I'll get your child a different pair. I'll try to get my company I purchase from to replace earbuds that are like that. I will only charge students for LOST earbuds or headphones.
For now, that's all I can think of...please comment if you have any questions! :0)