1. I have updated all of our Database password information and double-checked passwords for our site. I am calling it the "sheet of gold" since it gives access to such a goldmine of information! We'll get this printed on some golden paper (if I can find some) and will be available in the library for students to pick up a copy to take home if needed. This was also emailed to teachers to have available in their classrooms. Please let me know if you come across anything that didn't work and I'll check again.
2. You may have noticed in the Dallas ISD eNews that we now have a iPhone app! Check that out here:
District library users can search library catalogs with iPhone app
The Library Media Services Department has begun implementation of LS2 Mobile. This free app for the iPhone or iPod Touch allows users to search titles and authors, access their account, and renew or place a hold on an item. As an added bonus, when you shake the phone, a book title will be randomly selected from the district's suggested title list. For information on downloading the app, go to www2.youseemore.com/dallasisd/Default.asp?.
3. Spanish and bilingual books have been labeled in the library with red and yellow stickers that say Español on the spines. You will find these books inter-shelved in each section of the library.
4. Our Fall Book order of mostly Fiction titles arrived the last week of school in December. Those are now on display in the library for check-out. We received 199 titles worth ~$2,600.00. New titles include many series such as Harry Potter, Bone, Amelia's Notebook, Allie Finkle, Judy Moody, Captain Underpants, Horrible Harry and more!
5. Also, we have some new audio books in the library called Playaways! Be looking for a separate update about this. Parents, I will be scheduling some small group student orientations on how to use these for later this week and next before we check them out to students. Then I will post guidelines for useing them here so you will know our expectations.
6. Finally, I'd also like to schedule groups later this month for a refresher on using and finding our library books online and quick database overview, but I may be over-ambitious on this and realize that learning to use the Playaways needs to come first at the moment! We may have to move those topics to April :0) we shall see.
Last but not least, baby boy and I are doing well! Due date is February 7th but I think I might make the 28th of this month my last day before going on leave. I have a Doctor's appointment next Monday afternoon that will tell me a little more about where we are and I can plan a bit better from there.
<3 your librarian,
Kari L. Worsham, M.L.S.